You've worked hard for your beautiful smile; keep it that way!
Finally, your braces have been removed and your smile is beautiful, straight, and best of all, metal-free! However, your orthodontic journey isn't quite completed. To keep your smile looking its best, you'll have to wear a retainer to preserve and stabilize your results.
Types of Retainers
Retainers are custom-made and can be removable or fixed.
- Traditional removable retainers typically include a metal wire that surrounds the front teeth and is attached to an acrylic arch that sits in the roof of the mouth. The metal wires can be adjusted to finish treatment and continue minor movement of the front teeth as needed.
- Aligner-style retainers, or Essix retainers, look similar to clear aligners and offer a more aesthetic alternative to wire retainers. This clear retainer may fit over the entire arch of your teeth, or only from canine to canine (clip-on retainer). It is produced from a mold of your newly aligned teeth.
- Fixed retainers consist of wires bonded behind the bottom and/or top teeth. While the device is usually required no more than a year after wisdom teeth have been extracted, it is often kept in place for life.
Care For Your Retainers
- DO NOT boil your retainers
- DO NOT "flip" it with your tongue, or otherwise play with it.
- DO NOT PUT retainers in the dishwasher.
- DO NOT leave retainers in direct sunlight.
- DO NOT leave it where small children or pets can get to it.
- DO NOT wrap it in a napkin or tissue.
- DO NOT "wear" it in your pocket.
- DO WEAR your retainer at all times, including sleep, unless instructeed otherwise.
- DO BRUSH your teeth and retainers following each snack and meal. Be sure to remove your retainers before brushing and flossing your teeth.
- DO BE gentle when removing, wearing, or replacing your retainer to avoid potential distortions.
- DO KEEP it in the case provided when not wearing it.
- ALWAYS bring your retainers with you to your orthodontic appointment.
IF YOUR RETAINERS ARE LOST OR BROKEN, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE.